Analysis of the efficiency of content marketing: important metrics and tools
Content marketing is one of the most effective ways to attract potential customers to your website. However, if you want the content to meet your expectations, it is not enough to regularly post new articles on the site or blog; you also need constantly analyze their effectiveness important metrics. Analytics tools will help you check if users are reading your content and, most importantly, if they are responding to it precisely as you intended. So let’s figure out which metrics you will need to analyze in the first place to evaluate the effectiveness of your content marketing.
What are the key performance indicators of content? (most important metrics)
Before buying a product or ordering a service, a significant percentage of users read articles on this topic to choose what suits them best. Therefore, every commercial site pays due attention to the placement of text content. And many companies start their blogs in which they share their achievements, tell exciting stories related to their product, give advice on how to use it, and cover all new products that appear, as well as their proposals and ongoing promotions.
Your task is to provide quality content that combines valuable information with a simple presentation and an exciting and easy-to-read writing style. Ultimately, reading it should increase the client’s loyalty and lead to buying something from you.
So the KPIs for your content are:
- What traffic generates your content.
- How much the blog or individual articles increase the interest of users in your suggestions.
- What proportion of visitors, thanks to reading the information you provide, have become customers.
All this data is essential for the correct construction of an effective content marketing strategy. You must constantly monitor the metrics reflecting its changes to react in time and adjust in your favor. Let’s look at what tools and metrics can help you track and measure the impact of your content.
Tools and metrics to help assess the effectiveness of content marketing
The primary, most convenient, and popular tools for monitoring important parameters for promotion on sites today are Yandex Metrics and Google Analytics. In addition to them, such tools as Clicky, Matomo, Woopra, Mixpanel, Amplitude, and other services with paid and free versions are in demand.
Despite the differences in interface and feature set, almost all of these tools provide an opportunity to evaluate your content and content marketing effectiveness in general by viewing essential metrics.
The metrics that are most important for analyzing the effectiveness of content marketing, which you should explore first:
- The number of views. Firstly, you need to know how many users are reading your blog or articles. For this, the “Attendance” metric is suitable, reports which you can customize for a blog or a separate page with an article. Fluctuations in this metric will show you how effective your content is. In addition, by comparing traffic over specific periods, you can determine users’ interest in the information you provide.
- Sources of call. Be sure to look at the metrics by traffic sources. Pay special attention to 2 metrics: Search traffic, which will show you how well your articles use keywords. And a link, saying that the content seemed to readers how interesting it was written and valuable, that they decided to are it.
- Scroll depth. It is a crucial metric that will show you the quality of each of your articles. This parameter is best displayed by scrolling or scrolling heatmaps. A tool for creating heat maps can be found in Yandex Metrica, as well as in services such as Plerdy, HotJar, Crazyegg, and Inspectlet. A scrolling heatmap can help you track whether your content is being read to the end. By identifying at what point users are interrupting reading, you can amplify your content by heating readers’ interest.
- Refusals. Different analytics services count refusals on sites in different ways. For example, for Yandex Metrica, a user leaves the site page before 15 seconds, and for Google Analytics, viewing no more than 1 page. In any case, you need to know the reasons for refusals to eliminate them and to make your content more engaging and compelling to attract users.
- Initial and repeated visits. If your site has high traffic, but only due to people who came to you for the first time and subsequently did not return, then you will get little benefit from this. But too high a share of regular visitors with a small percentage of new ones signals that you have problems attracting customers. Therefore, keep track of the balance of this data using metrics that display audience loyalty, and align it in the right proportion using more compelling content.
- User activity. Metrics reflecting user activity will help you to assess the quality of content. If blog articles arouse their sincere interest, then they will certainly like and write comments. By calculating with the help of web analytics tools which articles are responding most violently and which ones without audience response, it will be easy for you to find the strengths and weaknesses of your content from the point of view of users.
- Conversions. And finally, the most important metric for measuring the effectiveness of content marketing, in general, is conversions. This parameter should be considered as a percentage, taking into account the share of actual customers in the total mass of visitors. It is clear that the more users who have read your content have reached the final goal, the more efficiently the built content marketing system works. If the current situation does not suit you, then it is time to change the strategy and look for new ways to strengthen it.
- To develop the most effective website promotion plan, take the time to evaluate not only your content but also articles on competitors’ blogs. It can be done using tools such as Serpstat or Similarweb. By analyzing the key metrics that measure the effectiveness of your competitors’ content marketing, you will gain more insight to optimize your own content.
>> find the best lifetime software deals for your business here