HOW TO CHECK A SITE FOR VIRUSES: ONLINE CHECK SERVICES
Infection of a site or part of files with viruses is a real problem that can happen to almost every resource. And, if today you have done everything possible to resist the attack of well-known “invaders,” this does not mean that tomorrow your site will not be infected by new malicious code.
In some cases, the computer can work even with the collected Trojan bouquet. But for a website, a virus caught on it can turn out to be a natural death. After all, search engines regularly check resources and block those that contain viruses or malicious codes. And the point here is not at all about the harmfulness or legibility of Yandex and Google. Simply in this way, search engines protect users, bearing responsibility for the quality of their search results.
How to protect your site from virus attacks
To protect your site from malware, find possible vulnerabilities and eliminate them:
- regularly update the CMS system;
- switch to the secure https protocol if you have not already done so;
- use a secure login and password for the admin panel;
- do not provide access to the site to third parties;
- use high-quality hosting and configure modules on it to check the resource for viruses or install special scripts;
- additionally, check the resource using special online services;
- if you found a problem, try to fix it as soon as possible.
Now we will look at how quickly and inexpensively you can check a site for malicious code and programs.
Ways to scan a website and files for viruses
There are 4 main types of resource analysis to protect it from viruses and malware:
1. Special modules from a hosting provider Most hosting providers have such means of protection against viruses and hacking for resources whose owners use their services. If you still do not know about such a hoster’s possibility, we recommend that you contact him and clarify this issue. And this is one of the most reliable ways to detect malicious code. Plus, you can set a scan script: specify how often the program will scan the resource and how it will notify you of the problem. In some cases, antivirus modules also offer the option to remove malicious scripts automatically, but it is better to remove them manually.
2. Installing scripts or plugins for protection on the site
There are also special plugins developed for popular CMS systems and platforms for scanning sites for viruses and blocking attempts to hack and introduce malware. If you find any problem, you will receive an e-mail, and it will be in the admin panel.
3. Online scanning of a resource for viruses and the presence of malicious code. You should not rely only on this method of scanning a site. Still, in combination with the above, it can also help save you from many serious problems and find malicious scripts and code fragments that interfere with the regular operation of the resource and threaten security visitors. It can also lead to blocking by search engines.
4. Checking for security problems in Google Search Console. Search engines periodically check the sites registered in their database, looking for malicious codes. They do this automatically and in the background without distracting you or slowing down your site. Thus, they fight hackers, helping resource owners to fend off attacks and protecting system users. But this is not enough, and to sleep well and not be afraid of pests, you need to monitor the situation independently. The Security Issues report will show whether the Google search engine detects a hacked content, unwanted or malicious software, social engineering that can harm users. The report will indicate on which pages and when the problem was found.
To protect the personal data of users, infected pages are marked as dangerous in the search results, and when visiting them, there will be a notification about this. For maximum protection, we recommend that you combine all 4 methods. This approach will allow you to quickly find attempts to inject unwanted scripts and viruses that have already hit, saving money, effort and time. In the meantime, let’s look at the most famous services and tools for scanning sites and files for viruses.
Scanning for viruses: types and characteristics of services
There are many solutions for scanning a web resource to detect threats to information security. Some are free, and others will require purchasing a subscription. But all these services have one thing in common: they allow you to quickly and efficiently analyze to detect viruses and malicious code.
Website protection tools are two main types. The difference lies in the object of research.
Content Services. Content posted on the site may itself be a target for hackers. They often use the simplest method of spreading viruses from a technical point of view – placing infected files as attachments in comments, reviews, or chats.
A more complicated method is to infect files already placed on the site pages. In this case, services that scan the content on the site and find suspicious and virus-containing files and directories will help.
Services that perform code verification. Compared to content analysis, a more profound verification method. With its help, it is possible to arrange a hunt for viruses of absolutely all elements of the site. It is advisable to carry out this type of analysis in a planned manner, setting the optimal frequency for you.
A brief overview of popular antiviruses for websites
The most famous are several scanning systems that earned the trust of thousands of users. We will talk about them.
To use the VirusDai cloud antivirus, you need to register your resource in its database, upload a special file to the site’s root directory, configure the scan script, and check for vulnerabilities, infected files, and malicious code fragments. The tool is available for all php sites and is compatible with many CMS systems such as ModX, WordPress, OpenCart, Joomla, PrestaShop, Bitrix, Magento, and many others. Both a free version and a more advanced paid version are available. ImunifyAV ImunifyAV is another effective antivirus that detects malicious and dangerous software on the site. Suitable for most CMS systems (Magento, Drupal, MODx, Bitrix, WordPress, Joomla, and others). The tool is paid and requires installation on the server. It is also possible to configure the check frequency, and upon completion of the scan, the report will be sent to the mail. Sucuri.net A paid service that can help not only detect and eliminate almost any threat on the site but also repel future virus attacks. The subscription price depends on your tasks. Separate cloud storage is provided for each resource. All work is done without temporary losses for the owner of the help and without breaking. Online virus scanning services Such services can superficially check the code and site files for malicious scripts and codes. In order to use them, you do not need to install anything on your computer or at the root of the site; you just need to specify the URL and click “Check.” Thus, you can check both your resource and others, if necessary.
Google and Yandex Search Engine
Services You can use online tools developed by search engines to check the security of a resource, Google Safebrowsing or Safe Browsing Yandex (Checking site status). By the way, another way to check whether a site is infected or not is to see how the snippets look in the search results using the site operator and if there are any pages with hieroglyphs among them. In this way, viruses can be found that have the ability to create pages or replace content.
You can use this resource to check a website for viruses online using the capabilities of several antiviruses at once. The free check will help to analyze the site for the presence of the most common malicious codes without registration. The developer has at his disposal a database of many leaders in the fight against hackers and the viruses they spread. To activate the check, you must enter the site address in the search bar of the service and wait for the results. This will take some time. All found problems will be in the report. The free version of the tool is inaccurate, and it is best not to rely solely on this verification method.
It is a super-fast online virus scanning service that allows you to check a website without registration (you need to provide a link), a file (you need to download the scanned file), or a separate page by adding it via search. For the analysis, you will not need to pay for a signature or even register. At the same time, the service contains about 70 antivirus analyzers, the databases of which it uses. An important feature of Virustotal is that there is no need to “stand” in a queue, waiting for other resources to be checked. Considering that the service is free, this plus gives it a significant advantage over its competitors.
What to do if viruses have already been found on the site?
What to do if, nevertheless, malicious code is found on the site? Do not panic, but treat it!
Getting rid of unwanted and dangerous files and scripts requires skills in working with site code and configuring web servers. Therefore, if you do not own them, it is better to contact your programmer or a third-party specialist who has experience in treating resources from viruses. Of course, you will have to spend money on the services of professionals. But it will pay off with interest: the site will be spared not only from the detected malicious code or virus but also protected for quite a long time. If the problem has been found by search engines, after fixing it, you need to request a recheck.
It is necessary to protect the site and its users. And you need to do this constantly. Otherwise, you risk both the resource itself and your precious reputation, the loss of which could cost you your business. If you take the matter seriously, you will most likely not face difficulties in the battle against viruses: both detection and treatment are a matter of technology.
Website owners have at their disposal a lot of antivirus services that allow them to detect and remove most of the known viruses. We recommend that you do not give up all the available tools by combining different solutions to check the site. So you will protect yourself and the visitors of the resource and be able to calmly develop your business.
Have you already had experience checking your site for viruses and, if so, what services did you use?
>> find the best lifetime software deals for your business here